Sunday, February 28, 2016

Forgetting

I woke up this morning,

remembered, Ha! it was you birthday!

i was to buy you something,

was it a pair of red running shoes...hmm?


...i forget.


I was to forget you were tired - so you said,

of my running round behind your back.

I was to forget that grave accusation,

borne of evidence only you knew,

and to forget this happened,

the eve after i informed you,

my goats were readying to cross into your fathers land.



I was to forget your graduation in December,

your nephews baptism,

your aunt Nyamburas' wake.


the Ndakaini run in September,

all of it,

...i was to forget.




I will remember however,

to tell my friends not to come,

mother not to cook,

M'mudi not to bake,

Nagin not to forge,

tell them...to forget.


I will remember tomorrow,

to heed your request,

tomorrow!

i will banish my thoughts and tuck away the memories,

bury them and forget where i did.

Tomorrow!

i will get back,

to forgetting.

that i promise!

No comments: